Thursday 13 December 2007

Intercity squabbles ruin lives

This is a letter I wrote last year to Adam Vaughan, Toronto city councillor for the riding of Trinity-Spadina, a very large area where I used to live. Unfortunately, I received no response.

"
Hello Mr. Vaughan,

I would like to say that I appreciate the work you have done in this diverse and extremely busy ward. I have become increasingly frustrated with politics in this city (and region, province, and country!), and from what I have seen, you have added a measure of integrity to the process.

But of course, if everything were great, I probably wouldn't be contacting you!

I read this morning that there has been some sort of resolution reached in the ongoing squabble between Mississauga and Toronto regarding airport limos and taxis and where they may or may not pick up passengers. That resolution is that Airport Limos will no longer be allowed to pick up passengers in Toronto for their long drive back to Mississauga. (As I understand, the reverse is currently true and Toronto cabs are not allowed to take passengers from the airport to Toronto.)

I'm not sure where you stand on this issue, but personally I find the whole thing petty. This "resolution" seems more like it's out of revenge rather than thinking of the good of the region or its citizens. I can imagine no good reason why any cab, be it a taxi or a limo, should have to drive one way on its 30km trip with no passenger. To me, this flies in the face of reason, good civic relations, traffic responsibility, and our environmental plan. It is simply a waste of time, money, and resources.

Now, I am not concerned with "who started it", or anything like that. I am concerned that we reach an intelligent solution rather than continuing with this pointless politicking.

I am contacting you because you are the councillor for my ward, but I will certainly contact Mr. Moscoe, who I understand instigated the current solution, if that is more appropriate.

Thanks very much for your time! I look forward to hearing your take on this issue.

Regards and season's greetings,

Adam Gorley
"

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
The New Dilettantes by Adam Gorley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.