Wednesday 23 January 2008

At the risk of sounding pretentious

Wouldn't it be great to be the first to do something, anything?

I'm not the first online opinionist certainly, and I won't be the last.__I'm not even sure that I approve of all the blogging going on.__But that uncertainty actually plays into my intentions with this online journal - call it a magazine of the personal, if you will.__I would like to use this opportunity to discuss the internet itself: its several parts and their effects on culture and society.__A particularly pressing question in my mind is: what are the results of millions of people expressing their unadulterated opinions to the world at large without perhaps a second thought to the consequences?__I am greatly interested in the psychology of anonymity, and I wonder what kind of world we are collectively creating by individually posting our immediate thoughts for all to see, whether it's through a blog, a web forum, or something like Digg.

So, I am going to edit myself to the best of my ability.__I am going to avoid judging as best I can, and when I do judge, I will try to make it very clear.__In short, I hope to "reveal art and conceal the artist" (Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray).

In no way will this journal be limited to this topic though, as my interests wander far beyond the borders of the internet (thank goodness), most recently to thoughts of Power, Resistance, Freedom, God, Et c.__Please feel free to look around and contribute if you please; the internet is a lonely place, and it's nice to see a friendly face.__Indeed, I am only here because, like everybody else, I want attention, too.__I want people to notice me and tell me that I've got something to say, anything; and this seems to be the way to do it at the moment.

In fact, we are each of us the first to do everything and the first to do anything.__Each time we do anything, it is the first time.__Every day is new, and every moment is ripe with life.__Maybe I can convince you, my non-existent audience.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
The New Dilettantes by Adam Gorley is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.